A beautiful, small town located in Kangra District, Himachal Pradesh. Bir is situated at 5000 feet above sea level and is home to most popular adventure sports- Paragliding. It is one of the top destinations for Paragliding in India. Bir is considered to be the Paragliding Capital of India, highest paragliding point in Asia.
Do you love to have some unique adventure experience, want some peace, and want to enjoy beautiful views? Then, Bir should be your next spot for a weekend vacation or staycation. This place is so blissful and peaceful which makes it an ideal weekend gateway.
You must be wondering what you can do there, there are many more things to do in Bir apart from Paragliding. I am sure after reading this; Bir will be in your bucket list for next time. Let’s dig in –
- Paragliding – Paragliding should be in your checklist while visiting this beautiful town. Imagine flying high in the air, in the middle of the sky, all surrounded by lush greenery with sky full of colorful parachutes all over. There is no other feeling like this to just fly and feel fresh in the air. This is once a lifetime experience, one must have. Best for adventure lovers.
- Camping – Bir is blessed with one of the most beautiful sunsets and panoramic views of the entire valley. Camping at Bir, can be an amazing experience for you. You can chase sunsets, spent a night under the stars while enjoying bonfire and music. Feel fresh air in the morning accompanied with sunrise. Mostly camps are located close to the landing site, but, I would prefer little more higher for overnight camping. You will find many camps located at the place offering different types of tents and domes with meals and activities. These are common there, so there is no problem in taking camps for stay.
- Mountain Biking – How about riding a bike or bicycle in the mountains? Sounds adventurous, right? Yes, it is a popular adventure sport in India. The winding roads are in good condition, so no need to worry about it. Explore the beauty of nature in Bir while riding a bike. Enjoy mesmerizing views while riding.
This place is surrounded by lush greenery, forests, tea gardens and beautiful monasteries, which makes it ideal for mountain biking. Bikes are easily available on hourly rentals. You can also hire from your camp or can take packages too.
4. Visit Chokling Monastry – Bir is surrounded by serene monasteries, the Chokling Monastery is one of them. This beautiful monastery is located in the middle of the Tibetan Colony; you need to walk a little bit from the road to reach here. This monastery is painted in white color, decorated with vibrant colors, which make it remarkable.
The colorful flags, peaceful atmosphere, sound of soulful prayers, and magnificent views of the mountains makes it must to visit place in Bir. There is a golden statue of Lord Buddha as well. The whole aura of this place gives such good vibes and positive energy that takes one into serenity.
- Watch sunset at Sunset Point or Landing Site – Are you a sunset lover? Chase sparkling sunset from Bir landing site. It is a memorable place to spend time and jut lost in watching paragliders flying nearby. You can spend hours time and capture all traits of nature in one frame. It feels so pleasant here by gazing at the sky and spotting colorful parachutes and watch their landing to the land. Best place to click photographs as well with amazing view in the backdrop.
- Explore Cafes – Bir has a plenty of cafes and restaurant. But, hold on, all cafes and restaurants do not serve quality and tasty food. As Bir is the small town away from the crowd, I did all my home work regarding food options before visiting there. I will recommend visiting Garden Café and munching on their delicious dishes and that too all freshly made. The café has beautiful ambience offering scenic views. You can also try Northern café and Sasta Café.
- Shopping at local market – The market of Bir is known for small shops selling basic stuff, ranging from prayer flags, key chains, woolens, handicraft items, imitation jewellery, dry fruits, pickles, to fast food corners. Take a stroll through the market and shop some souvenirs.
Last but not the least; you can visit to Baijnath temple, one of the oldest Shiva temples in Himachal Pradesh. It is approx 11 kms from Bir landing site. Unfortunately, I did not make to pay a visit to this temple. But, sure will do next time.
So, what are you waiting for? Get up and pack your bags!