Travelling with kids is not an easy task as it may seems. Planning a family trip can be traumatic for any parent as kids are the most upsetting elements during vacations. You need to be ready to withstand the tantrums of the kids especially with the cranky ones. You may encounter their erratic mood, unpredictable questions; misbehavior etc. which can ruin your whole trip.
But traveling with kids can also be an overwhelming experience if you plan everything carefully and follow some tips and strategies to streamline the things which will save you from going insane. Here are some things to consider while travelling with kids which will ensure smooth trip for whole family.
- Make Bookings Wisely and in advance – Pre book everything from flights to hotel accommodation, transfers, any entry tickets to major tourist destinations, sightseeing tours and so forth. Leave no room for booking things later on a trip. If your kid is good at sleep, book overnight flight so that they will disturb you in the plane.
- Take Plenty of Time – Yes! You are not traveling alone that you can reach airport few minutes prior to flight, get all security checks done and board the flight. Mind you, you are traveling with kids! Do not rush around; reach airport hours before your flight time. Take plenty of time on the entire trip, everything will take more time as you expected. Keep your schedule loose and do not try to cover all things at the destination.
- Pack Everything – Pack everything but do not overpack. It is good to pack all essential items for your kids but it is not good to pack each and everything that your kid used to use at home. This may include familiar toys, books or anything else. Traveling is an experience for your kids too, let them experience it and make memories. Now a days, you will get everything easily available at the hotels or nearby market, so there is no need to carry unnecessary luggage with you.
- Keep them Engaged – It is very important to keep the kids busy and entertained, not only on the plane but on the whole trip. You may carry story books, coloring book set to keep them busy or their favorite game to play. Download videos, movies, apps or their favorite TV shows or cartoons on your phone that can play offline. Let them use your personal electronic devices in the downtimes. This will keep them engaged for longer period of time.
- Travel with Healthy Snacks and Basic Medicines – It is always a good idea to keep some healthy snacks for your kids along with the some basic medicines. You never know when your kids demand for their favorite snack or candy, therefore it’s better to carry with you. Hungry or cranky kids can make the trip miserable. To remain stress free, make sure that you have snacks available for your kids always. Apart from the snacks, ensure that you have all basic medicines in your traveling bag too. This may include medicines for sough, cold, fever, headache, stomache, motion sickness etc.
- Make Your Kids Familiar with the Trip – Introduce your kids about your trip. Explain them about the destination where you are traveling, how you are commuting, what to do there. Make then understand everything beforehand, it will surely help them to remain calm during the trip. This will ultimately make parents you stress-free ensuring a nice trip too.
The biggest travel tip is to remain calm and go with the flow. Things may not fall as you think, keep yourself prepared for everything. Afterall, it is the new experience for your kids. Make them feel loved, happy, and enjoy. Happy traveling.