Queen of Hills, Mussoorie is one of the famous and most visited hill stations. Mussoorie is located in the Dehradun district of Uttrakhand, Garhwal Himalayas, around 6500 feet above sea level. This beautiful town has all old world charm and breathtaking views of Himalayas. Mussoorie is known for its scenic beauty and amazing views. The place is good to visit for all age groups be it family, friends, senior citizens or kids. Everyone loves beautiful stay here. Let’s talk about some frequently asked questions or some about Mussoorie.
How to reach Mussoorie –
Mussoorie is well connected with roadways and railways. You can travel either by road/self drive or by train or by air.
- By Road – It is around 282 kms from Delhi which takes around 6 hours by own vehicle. Road route starts from NH58 till Roorkee and NH72A till Dehradun. It is very comfortable and flat drive till Dehradun. After reaching Dehradun, there is a single road going towards Mussoorie, you can follow that. I went Mussoorie by road by my own car. It is very amazing experience of enjoying beauty of nature while driving.
Image Courtesy – https://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/pocketmaps/road_maps/delhi-mussoorie.htm
- By Train – There are many trains connecting New Delhi with Dehradun, nearest railway station is Dehradun Railway Station, which is approx 36 kms from Mussoorie. The train journey takes around 5.5 hours, you can book train accordingly. Major trains connecting both cities are Shatabdi Express and Mussoorie Express. Once you reach Dehradun by train, you can hire a cab or taxi or can take a local bus to reach Mussoorie.
- By Bus – You will find several buses running between Delhi to Mussoorie. You can easily book bus to reach Mussoorie. There are options for booking bus – Volvo, sleeper, deluxe or non deluxe or state transport buses. Bus journey takes approx 8 hours. You can take bus from Anand Vihar Bus Station or ISBT (Inter State Bus Transport) and SDTC (South Delhi Travel Centre). There are many buses that run from Delhi tio Mussoorie including Uttarakhand Transport Corporation (UTC), Uttarakhand Roadways, UPSRTC (Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation). Mostly buses stop at Library Bus stand.
- By Air – Distance between Delhi to Mussoorie by flight is approx 221 Kms. As Mussoorie does not have its own airport, nearest domestic Airport is the Jolly Grant in Dehradun. Direct flights are available from Delhi and Mumbai. Once you reach Dehradun by flight, you can hire a cab or taxi or can take a local bus to reach Mussoorie.
Where to stay in Mussoorie – There are n number of options to stay in Mussoorie. You will find every type of hotel, there is no scarcity of hotels in Mussoorie. But, there are few points to keep in mind while booking a hotel. Always prefer hotel near or on Mall Road, as things are in easy reach there, you can come back to hotel anytime after taking dinner as it is in the city market. Check for all facilities and amenities hotel provides. Personally, I always prefer hotel nearby market or in city area, especially when travelling with family.
What to see & Things to Do – Mussoorie is famous for its scenic beauty and magnificent waterfalls. It is the best place to escape from busy and hectic city life and spend some time in peace and tranquility. Whether you are looking for family trip or solo trip, Mussoorie has something for everyone.
Few best and must places to visit in Mussoorie are-
- Dalai Hills or Happy Valley
- Company Garden
- Wax Museum
- The Mall Road
- Gun Hill Point
- Bhatta Falls
- Kempty Falls
I have a detailed blog on above mentioned places, check them out here – Places to visit in Queen of Hills.
When to go to Mussoorie – Mussoorie is a year round destination. You can visit anytime and experience different weather in different months. The best time to visit the place is summers when you can avoid scorching heat of Delhi and enjoy pleasant weather here. That’s why summer months are the busiest months. You may expect rainfall in months of August- September and expect snowfall in winters.
What to Pack – It is advisable to carry warm clothes no matter in which month you are traveling. Carry pair of t shirts, shorts or jeans for day time when its hot. Carry light jacket or sweatshirt or pullover or shawl for nights when its cold. In rainy season say in the months of May to September, you should carry umbrella or rain coat as weather can turn anytime in hills. Do not forget to pack comfortable footwear may be good pair of sport shoes as you need to walk as well in hilly areas.
What to Eat in Mussoorie – You will find lot of options to eat in Mussoorie. There is food for everyone. From small eateries to cafes and restaurants, offering a wide variety of food options to eat. You cannot miss Omlette from Lovely Omlette Centre and swirl potatoes when you walk through mall road. Try dim sums, shakes and Chinese cuisine from small street shops. Must have Jalebis from Mussoorie Sweet Shop.
What to Shop from Mussoorie – Mussoorie being a famous tourist destination offers huge range of shopping opportunities. Few items such as wooden show pieces, handicrafts, woolen clothes, Tibetan prayer flags and wheels, jewelry, pashmina shawls, souvenirs, brass knick knacks and footwears.