Unveiling the Unmatched Beauty of Baralacha La Pass: A Himalayan Gem Worth Exploring.
Baralacha La is not just a mountain pass; it’s an adventure in itself, offering a glimpse into the majestic beauty and challenges of the Himalayas. It is a high mountain pass in the Zanskar Range of the Indian Himalayas. It’s located in the state of Himachal Pradesh, India, at an elevation of approximately 4,890 meters (16,040 feet) above sea level.
We planned our day trip to Baralacha on our third day of Lahaul trip. We started early morning from Jispa and reach the mountain pass around 12 PM. The road leading to Baralacha La Pass is nothing short of an adventure in itself, offering a mesmerizing journey through the heart of the Himalayas. As you embark on this thrilling road trip, you’ll find yourself surrounded by breathtaking landscapes and scenes that will leave you in awe.
The landscape changes dramatically as you approach the pass, with lush greenery giving way to barren and rocky terrain. We were totally mesmerized by the beauty of the place. Its just sky, snow and us.
We got little tired by just sitting in the car and were eagerly waiting to reach to the top. But, after reaching to the top, we forgot all tiredness and we become speechless and awestruck. It was really a moment of saying – Its heaven! Is this a reality or we are in dreams……
We were completely cut off from the outside world. This was an awesome experience. We spend good time here, play in snow, click photographs and try to soak in everything.
Our cab driver suggested us to not to stay for long time as it may cause high altitude and once entry of trucks starts, traffic will increase. So, we left from there in lunch time. WE stopped at Zing Zing bar to have maggie and tea in lunch.
We make a stop at Deepak Tal, it is a picturesque high-altitude lake located in the Lahaul region of Himachal Pradesh, near Baralacha La Pass. It is surrounded by snow-capped peaks, making it a stunning location for nature enthusiasts and trekkers. The lake is known for its pristine beauty, with crystal-clear blue waters reflecting the surrounding mountains. The area around Deepak Tal is mostly barren, creating a surreal contrast against the vibrant blue of the lake. We spend some time here, admire the beauty and head back to Jispa.
Some useful tips for your next trip to Baralacha Pass-
1. Due to its high altitude and challenging terrain, weather conditions at Baralacha La can be extreme and unpredictable. Even in the summer months, temperatures can drop significantly, so it’s essential to carry warm clothing and be prepared for sudden weather changes.
2. You may experience symptoms of altitude sickness due to its high elevation. It’s crucial to acclimatize properly and stay hydrated to avoid altitude-related health issues. We keep snacks, nuts, drink with us all the time and we drank lots of water. It actually helps in fighting AMS. We took Diamox medicine as well for hight altidue sickness.
3. High-altitude essentials: Carry medications for altitude sickness, first-aid supplies, and a portable oxygen cylinder.
4. Depending on your travel plans and nationality, you may need permits to travel on the Manali-Leh Highway, including crossing Baralacha La. Check the latest permit requirements with local authorities or your tour operator.
5. There are no permanent accommodations at Baralacha La itself. You need to stay in nearby towns like Sarchu or Jispa or Sissu or Manali. And can plan day trip from there.
6. Drive carefully and follow all safety guidelines. The road to Baralacha La Pass can be challenging with narrow paths and steep inclines. Adhere to speed limits and be cautious while crossing streams and rocky patches.
7. You can carry snow dress and snow boots with you to the top, if you want to play and sit in snow. We did not carried snow essentials with us and we were not aware of it.