Jispa is a small village located in the Lahaul Valley of Himachal Pradesh, India. It is a popular stopover for travelers heading to Leh-Ladakh from Manali or other parts of Himachal Pradesh. Jispa is known for its scenic beauty, serene landscapes, and proximity to the Himalayan mountains. It is not a big town but still offers awesome views of Himalayas.
Jispa was on the second number in our itenary after Sissu. We stayed here for three days and cover whole Lahaul from here. Here’s a travel guide to help you explore Jispa:
1. Getting There:
• By Road: Jispa is accessible by road from Manali, which is approximately 140 kilometers away. The drive from Manali to Jispa offers breathtaking views of the Himalayas. You can hire a taxi or take a bus from Manali to Jispa. We hired cab for our whole trip and started from Sissu to reach Jispa.
• By Air: The nearest airport to Jispa is Kullu-Manali Airport, also known as Bhuntar Airport. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to Jispa.
• By Train: The nearest railway station to Jispa is Joginder Nagar Railway Station, but it is not well-connected. Chandigarh Railway Station is a major railway hub, and you can reach there by train and then proceed to Jispa by road.
2. Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Jispa is during the summer months, from May to September, when the weather is pleasant and the roads are open. Winter sees heavy snowfall, making it difficult to access the region.
Jispa offers a limited number of accommodation options, including guesthouses, campsites, and small hotels. Make sure to book your stay in advance, especially during the peak tourist season. You will find many riverside camps after entering Jispa. Camping option is also available in Jispa and it is quite popular among tourists.
4. Things to Do:
• Scenic Drives: Enjoy the picturesque drive to Jispa from Manali or other nearby towns. The landscape is dotted with lush green valleys, gushing rivers, and towering mountains. Town is perfect for those who love peace and want to spend time with nature.
• Photography: Jispa offers numerous photo opportunities with its stunning landscapes, pristine rivers, and traditional Himachali architecture. Jispa is full of natural beauty.
• Trekking: There are several trekking trails in and around Jispa for adventure enthusiasts. The Baralacha La trek is a popular choice. We kept one whole day for Baralacha La Pass and it was awesome experience.
• Explore the Villages: Take a walk through the charming villages in the area and interact with the locals to get a taste of their culture and way of life.
• Visit Buddhist Monasteries: Jispa is located in a region with a significant Tibetan Buddhist influence. Visit Kardang monastery, it is one of the most prominent monasteries in the region and is known for its rich history and stunning location. Visit Shashur monastery, it is located in the Lahaul Valley, around 70 kilometers from Jispa. It’s known for its beautiful setting and is an important religious center for the local population.
• Visit Udaipur: This is not city of lakes of Rajashtan! This is Udaipur in Himachal. It is a beautiful town located in the picturesque region of Lahaul and Spiti Valley. Udaipur is surrounded by snow-capped peaks, lush greenery, and the Chandra Bhaga River. Mrikula Devi Temple and Trilokinath Temple are the main attractions of this town. There is a beautiful bridge for crossing the river which offers mesmerizing views of the valley.
• Take a stroll at the river: Just spend some time on the river bank and enjoy the beauty of the place.
• Since Jispa is at a high altitude, it’s essential to acclimatize properly to avoid altitude sickness, especially if you’re coming from lower altitudes.
• Carry warm clothing, even in summer, as temperatures can drop significantly, especially at night.
• Keep essential medicines and a first-aid kit with you, as medical facilities may be limited.
• Take Diamox medicine for AMS once you reach Manali.
Depending on your travel route and plans, you may need to obtain permits for certain areas like Rohtang Pass or other restricted zones. Check with local authorities or your tour operator for the necessary permits.
Jispa is a tranquil and picturesque destination that offers a peaceful retreat amidst the Himalayas. Whether you’re a nature lover, an adventure seeker, or just looking for a serene getaway, Jispa has something to offer. You must include this offbeat destination in your Lahaul or Himachal Pradesh list.